Monday 23 February 2009

Back to basics



Whenever I browse through a fashion or beauty blog I always find that they have their "basics"...especially in terms of makeup, clothes aren't usually so restricted with the whole "what I must must must have" type of thing. And it's quite funny because, the makeup fanatic that I am, I've never really had a while "basics" type thing and trying to reduce my whole makeup stash (three makeup bag full, divided into three categores; eyes, lips, face) into this tiny pile (shown above) was not the easiest thing in the world, but I'm confident to say that if I had to be left with only a couple of beauty essentials, these would be it.



  • Lancome makeup kit: This was a gift from my grandma, after she felt the urge to spend money and duty-free goods. I'm not really bothered with the rest of the pallete (though I do love the fact that it's lain out like a notebook) but the blushers (as you can see, the two squares) are the most awesomely perfect things in the world. The lighter one is a light berry colour with gold shimmer and it makes you flush prettily, no matter how much (or how little in soem cases) you put on. The darker one is more dramatic, and it's a brown-pink colour with shimmer (!!!!) that I prefer to place on my cheekbones (unlike the lighter one where I like to put it on the apples of my cheeks) to make them extra pointy and oh-so Kate Moss. Together, they are unstoppable.



  • MEMEME Smitten Kitten Lip and Cheek tint: This one is also pretty big on my list. The red part is a tint which you can use both on your lips and your cheeks and it's got a watery texture that is comfortable on the lips coz it dries instantly. The clear lipgloss is awesome on top or on it's on and stays on for ages. Did I mention that it smells pretty too? The red part smells like roses while the clear lipgloss smells like candy. Yum.



  • Rimmel Liquid eyeliner: Perfect for those cat-eye looks or more extreme Amy Winehouse lines. This eyeliner stays put, is the blackest of black and has a pointed felt tip so it's easier to apply.



  • Rimmel Lipstick in "Birthday Suit": The perfect nude lipstick, it suits every skintone I know out there. It's a fleshy light brown colour with a hint of pink to make your lips not look like a zombie. I wear this with everything from a bronzed summery look to a smokey-eyed-so-much-it-looks-like-someone-punched-my-eyes-in look.



  • Revlon Superlustrous Lipstick in "Blushed": Another gift from the grandmother, she seems to love buying makeup for me a lot. Plus she knows which makeup looks good on me, so that is a big plus. This lipstick goes on smoothly, never dries, and also (like the Rimmel lipstick) looks good with practically any look. It's like a darker nude but with more pink in it, and I liek using it at night to go with my dramatic eye looks coz I think that the night time allows you to wear a little more makeup without looking too...*coughs*...overdone.



  • Mascara (in this case Rimmel): I don't particularly care what brand of mascara I own, as long as I own one. I have pretty long eyelashes already, so any mascara that holdsa a curl and makes my lashes darker will do it for me. I do like how this particular one separates my eyelashes nicely, though.



  • Revlon Colorstay with Soflex foundation for oily/combination skin: I usually try to steer clear of foundations because I used to have problem skin (it's a little less problematic now!) and it's very sensitive, so if I put anything on that isn't necessary, I end up choking it and making myself break out. But, when I do feel that I need a little something-something...or a flawless pallete for the rest of my makeup, I like to rely on this because it lasts all day, looks neither super-dewy not uber-matter and is the perfect colour. The only downside is that its pretty tough to take off.



  • Lip balm: Nuff said.



  • Collection 2000 Highlighter in "Copacabana": Gorgeous and easy to use on all important areas (eyes, lips and cheeks) this stuff makes me look wide awake straightaway. It's a gorgeous yellow gold colour that looks pretty on my dark olive/asian skin and it blends easily and stays put, especially with a little bit of powder on top. I usually like to put it on the inner conrer of my eyes, the tip of my nose, my cheekbones and my cupid's bow to give out that "oh, this? I just woke up like 2 seconds ago." look.



  • Rimmel eyeliners in black and white: The black is for the normal eyelinering stuff around the eyes and whatnot. I usually use pencil eyeliners when I feel like I want to look a bit messier and less...pretty-pretty. It's great to smudge and it never makes me feel too...try hard. The white one I like to use in the inner lower rims of my eyes, when I look horrible and zombie-like. It instantly makes me look WAY more awake, and gives me pretty big doe-eyes too.



  • Collection 2000 clear mascara: I know it looks a little beige-y now, but that's only because it mizes with powder sometimes. I like using this to shape my brows and make me look oh-so sophisticated a la Audrey Hepburn or (more recently) Camille Belle. I sometimes use it on my eyelashes too when I'm in a hurry and just want my eyelashes to look pretty separated and structured.



  • The BodyShop eau de toillete in "Casis Rose": I love "White Musk" to bits, but I think it scares the boyhs away sometimes because it's so strong and ocassionally, a tad manly but "Casis Rose" is perfect because it's not too girly but it's feminine enough to give me confidence. Smells like diluted roses and...pretty smelling things.



  • RoC Purifying cleanser: Tough stuff. Clears up my skin and leaves it feeling silky smooth. Only downside is that it's hella expensive and not recommended for those who don't have problem skin because it tends to be a little harsh.



  • Eyelash curlers: I look way more wide awake with these. I also find them funt o play around with. Baby Epiphany never let me near them for fear that I will poke her eye out with my excessive enthusiasm.



  • The BodyShop Shimmerwaves in "Bronze": Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous...that's all I have to say. It's the perfect combination of glowy-ness and structure because it's not too glittery nor is it too matte...it just gives you some kind of...glow, I guess. The colours (when combined together) is a sort of coppery bronze that seriously makes you look like you have a clean tan; it highlights, darkens and it can be applied EVERYWHERE. Trust me, I used this when I had my junior prom two years back on my shins, and it kinda looked pretty. The strips can be used individually too as eyeshadows or even as highlighters.


Well, I guess that's all in my exciting foray into this whole "basics" business. I'm going to go out this weekend with the mother to buy fabrics for my designs and I've been drooling mentally (whilst doing homework, which is a bad thing) about what I'm going to wear on that day. I'm thinking something along the lines of a jumper/sweater and pearls...



Mmmmm...pearls.



...it's not weird, is it? Foaming at the mouth at such an image?



*grin*



Also, i think I'll probably do an FOTD (Face Of The Day) in the weekend too because I've found another lipstick that seemed to be lurking around in my makeup bag and it's a...let's say...peculiar colour. Not weird, just...I've never really seen a way to actually pull it off...



Okies, shall post again soon! Hope Baby Epiphany does too!



xxxTalking Monkee



No comments:

Post a Comment